Re: Proposal: Two Hop Paths

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 09:55:40PM +0100, Steven Murdoch wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 04:12:09PM -0400, Paul Syverson wrote:
> > Two more related points: Complaints about Tor performance are generally
> > anecdotal. Do we know the percentage of users that are on "broadband"?
> > Do we know if users on dialup have on average any perception of Tor
> > performance problems?
>
> The paper "Performance Comparison of low-latency Anonymisation
> Services from a User Perspective", by Rolf Wendolsky, Dominik Herrmann
> and Hannes Federrath, might answer some related questions.
>
> It doesn't deal with performance problems caused by the user's
> Internet connection; in fact they go out of their way to prevent this
> effect interfering in their analysis. However, it still gives
> quantifiable measures of Tor's performance.

Yes. This is an interesting paper that I should have cited when I mentioned
this point. But what I was asking about was the user perception. That
paper does examine performance from a user perspective in the sense
that they analyze performance for a client, but they don't say much
about how humans perceive performance differences. I think this paper
covers an important piece of the puzzle, but doesn't really answer the
questions I was asking.

-Paul