Re: [tor-dev] GSoC - Profile UDP transport protocols

On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 09:55:42 -0300
Danilo Carvalho <vandor.danilo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am interested in profiling the UDP transport protocols, I think
> using a different underlying protocol could significantly improve
> Tor's performance and I would like to be part of that.

https://research.torproject.org/techreports/libutp-2013-10-30.pdf

It's sort of been done.  The project ended before they could get
meaningful performance numbers, but an educated guess on my part says
that they wouldn't have been that great in the presence of competing
traffic, but I have not busted out ns-3 or anything so I could very
well be wrong here.

I also don't really see how merely switching to UDP would be a net gain
performance wise, since currently any suitable UDP based transport
needs to implement a lot of TCP like features (reliable + in-order
delivery, and congestion control).

Don't let my skepticism dissuade you if you're determined to do
something like this, because there is potential for a lot of
interesting research, but the scope of the project may be bigger than a
summer one (Although reviving the libutp code and actually getting
performance numbers may be something that is doable).

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel