Re: [tor-dev] A Proposal for a hidden service revocation system

Hi Donncha,

Thanks for the feedback! This is an issue I'm passionate about and would really like to help
implement. Since the CA/Browser Forum recently adopted rules letting anyone who has the
master secret key get an EV SSL certificate for a .onion domain, a hijacker can even present
itself as a 'secure version' of the real service, with the https://, the padlock, the green bar,
and everything.

You make a good point, a local cache of previously encountered revoked services is a privacy
risk. I'll remove references to this in the next draft.

I'm very glad to hear that current hidden service directories would accept a descriptor with
a 'revoked' line! If a revocation is defined as a descriptor with zero introductory points and
a 'revoked' line, then there is no danger of accidental revocations in the current code and
no need for the modification in step 1 or the waiting period in step 2 of the timeline I
outlined. We could skip straight to step 3, modifying hidden service directories to block
'un-revocation' attempts.

The reason I suggested hijacking detection would be part of the hidden service node itself
is because I can't see any way for hijacking to be detected with certainty unless the
detector knows for sure which descriptors were published by the legitimate service
and which may have been published by someone else. I think you're right that architecturally
a detector should be a separate piece of software, but tor would need to have an local
interface which exposes this information.

Yes, it's too bad the hidden service directories are currently vulnerable to attackers intentionally
positioning themselves so that they hold the descriptors for a targeted hidden service. This is
already noted as making .onions vulnerable to DOS attacks in some of the specifications I've read,
but vulnerability to un-revocation is also serious, especially if clients do not retain a local cache
of previously-known-to-be-revoked sites.

It was my pleasure putting to this together, and I agree, it would be nice if it weren't needed! But
most services run their web server on the same machine as their tor node, so compromises are
inevitable. I can't wait for the added protection next generation hidden services look like they're
going to bring!

Cheers,
Adrien Johnson