Re: Turning off a server

On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 02:02:09PM +0100, Robert Hogan wrote:
> AFAICS there's no way of turning off a server immediately, without actually
> killing the tor process.
>
> What I mean by this is some controller command(s) that:
>
> - Closes all the server's ORCONNs immediately
> - Sends a suicide descriptor to the authdirs.
>
> The use-case is the general user who runs a relay most of the time but
> occasionally wants to toggle it off without disripting general use.

I'd rather that users who want to stop being a server _not_ kill all
ORCONNs immediately: doing so kills all the active connections for
every user who's touching that server.

Instead, I'd prefer that all circuits through that server die
naturally as clients time them out over the next 10-30 minutes, and
that the server stop accepting new circuits.  Does not that work in
practice?  If it doesn't work (because circuits stay open
indefinitely), I think the answer is to give existing circuits 5-10
minutes or so finish up.

yrs,
--
Nick Mathewson