Re: [or-cvs] r16692: {} Initial auto-updater commit: s-expression libray and format (in updater: . trunk trunk/lib trunk/lib/sexp trunk/specs)

Thus spake Steven J. Murdoch (tor+Steven.Murdoch@xxxxxxxxxxxx):

> Hi Nick,
>
> >   updater/trunk/lib/sexp/__init__.py
>
> I noticed the Python check-in for the auto-updater. Do you plan on
> writing the client in Python? If so, we should first look into how
> much overhead this will introduce.
>
> The compressed Python installer for Windows is 11 MB. The Windows API
> files (sometimes needed) are another 5 MB. The Tor Browser Bundle is
> already raising objections at its 13 MB size, so adding any
> significant overhead should be avoided.
>
> If you're just working on a prototype, that's fine, but if you plan on
> shipping a Python thing, we should look into how big the overhead will
> actually be before we go too far down a blind alley.

I already raised this point elsewhere, but I probably should say it
here as well since there may be other folks with an opinion
on/experience with such things: It looks like people have had
success using UPX (an executable packer) with py2exe:

http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/BetterCompression#line-111

That page is really ad-hoc and poorly organized overall, but almost
becomes coherent for that last section, where it looks like the core
UPX+py2exe'd stuff can get down to well under a meg if we're not using
the wxWindows GUI bits.

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist