Re: Glider: Automatic updates for Tor bundles

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 05:57:11PM -0400, Nick Mathewson wrote:
>    We need updates to be easy.  Each additional step a user must take to
>    get updated means that more users will stay with older insecure
>    versions.
[snip]
>   Once the client has gotten enough packages, it informs the user that
>   new packages have arrived, and asks them if they want to update.

Part of my motivation for fetching the packages preemptively is to
make the "click to upgrade" instant for the user. See
http://www.techzoom.net/publications/insecurity-iceberg/index.en
for details, especially section 4.1.1, where they praised Firefox's
"click to upgrade" button and slammed most of the other ones.

--Roger