Re: [tor-dev] Reproducibility of Pluggable Transports python.msi

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 10:20:59 -0400
Brandon Wiley <brandon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not advocating that the various PT implementations be abandoned,
> just that we have a common implementation across products when
> possible. If I recall correctly, there was a time when TBB, Tails,
> and Orbot were all shipping different implementations. I think the
> current state of PT implementation deployment is the following:
>
> TBB: Go, Python
> Tails: Go
> Orbot: Go, C++ (on x86)

That's correct. It's worth noting that the Python component of TBB is
almost entirely FTE that hovers around ~200 users.  Out of those, I am
unsure how many use FTE because it is the only thing that works in
their environment.

> The benefit of having the Go implementation ship with all products is
> that PT authors can target one implementation and achieve deployment
> across all of the products.

Sure.  Go would be a fine choice for people, but I'd like it to be
explicit that I'm open to more options, even if it means reducing the
deployment base if that's what it takes for people to write something
(I'd rather see more circumvention methods, than fewer).

> As far as reproducibility of builds goes, if a reproducible Python
> build is a challenge, an alternative is to port FTE to Go and retire
> flashproxy.

Or port both to Go (flashproxy would be easy)/deprecate both.

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel