Re: [tor-relays] Setting up AWS cloud-relay - don't reserve expensive storage!

On Sun, Dec 08, 2013 at 04:00:06PM +0000, Nick Sheppard wrote:
> At the end of the month I got a bill for 120 dollars. And Amazon
> were quite right - they were charging me for the 1024 GB of storage
> I had accidentally asked for by not changing the default when I set
> up the instance.  The first 30 GB were free, the other 994 I was
> paying for. And I was only actually using 1.5 GB ...

*Storage*? As in, disk space? Surely you mean bandwidth, but you
seem quite clearly to mean disk space, so I'm confused.

> So ... if you've recently set up an AWS EC2 cloud relay with the Tor
> AMI, check your storage, and your billing!

Are you setting up a relay or a bridge?

https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#RelayOrBridge

> In any case, I think the tor-project website AWS screenshots
> urgently need to be changed to reflect the current setup procedure,
> with a warning not to accept the 1024 GB default and an explicit
> recommendation about the amount of storage to ask for (was my guess
> of 10 GB reasonable?).

Yuck. I have worried since the beginning of the 'cloud bridge' project
that we were just signing people up for a future bait-and-switch by the
enormous uncaring for-profit company. But then, I figured I was just
a cloud hater so I should let people move forward with their vision of
the future. :)

Sorry you got bitten. :(

--Roger