[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]

[tor-relays] Re: Should I switch my guards to exits?



On Wednesday, 16 September 2026 17:58:52 CEST Marco Moock via tor-relays 
wrote:

> Is there any problem with that?

I don't fully grasp the voodoo behind consensus weight and circuit selection, 
but the fact that all the relays are in the same /16 subnet plays a role.
I believe that adding more Tor exit instances to our AS won't increase our CW 
or traffic volume.
And when I see the current attacks against (Hidden)Onion-Services that are 
forcing some guards to their knees, stable guards are also needed.

With the planned 2-week C-tor release cycle, HSDir's are in for some really 
tough times. ;-)

Background: Why niftybunny split up his AS and servers back then
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/tor/-/work_items/40007

> I know that it would be much better if exits were more distributed, but 
> exit bandwidth is much more limited than entry/middle node bandwidth.

There's plenty of bandwidth available¹
Advertised and consumed bandwidth of relay:
https://metrics.torproject.org/bandwidth-flags.html

¹Especially in our rack or AS. Multiple machines with 2x10G or 2x25G that do 
the 'R' in tor.

 net.ipv4.conf.default.forwarding=1 # be a router and fwd v4 packets
 net.ipv4.conf.all.forwarding=1 # be a router and fwd v4 packets
 net.ipv6.conf.default.forwarding=1 # be a router and fwd v6 packets
 net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1 # be a router and fwd v6 packets

-- 
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: This is a digitally signed message part.

_______________________________________________
tor-relays mailing list -- tor-relays@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To unsubscribe send an email to tor-relays-leave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx