Re: country banning

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 04:30:28PM +0100, Adam Langley wrote:
> On 4/13/05, alexyz@xxxxxxxxxx <alexyz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > My preocupation now is that being part of the Tor network, I am breaking connections to and from those countries. Will the Tor
> > nodes "sense" that this is happening and avoid my node for those connections? Considering my policy, am I fit to be a part of this
> > network?
>
> If you list these IP addresses in your exit policy (in torrc) as ones
> which you reject, clients will not use your router as an exit node for
> those given IPs.

A side note: it might be interesting to support having exit policies
that use hostnames rather than CIDR prefixes; I suspect that many people
(though perhaps not alexyz@xxxxxxxxxx) like to implement blocking
address ranges by whatever reverse-resolve DNS says the hostname is.  Of
course, the risk is that this could greatly add to the complexity of
checking exit policies or make exit policies larger and more unwieldy.

But what do people think?  (Personally, I am not sure that this is a
good idea, but I think that it is worth considering.)

Geoff