Re: Wiki about usage of vservers still up to date? / What are descriptors?

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 12:42:59PM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:

> Some companies selling "vservers" give you enough file descriptors,
> but they limit the buffer space to some very small amount.
>
> This trend is not a coincidence -- the goal of the vserver scam is to
> sell you something that you think will work and then it turns out to

Ahem. As someone who's planning to sell solutions based on raw
and cooked vservers I hope I'm not resembling that remark.

> have lots of weird artificial limits. You could try asking "Can I run a
> popular website from this account?", but it likely won't be that easy,
> because many support people either don't understand that vservers are
> a scam, or they are in on it themselves.

I don't see why vservers are a scam. Costs for a hoster are power
and traffic. If you can stick some 200-400 virtual machines into
1 U for a ~250 W power print the hoster can clearly save money
on space and power. That's why vservers are cheaper than physical
servers.

They need not to have limitations, if implemented properly.

> Now, vserver accounts are fine if you just want to log in and read your
> mail or something. So they do have a use. The problem is that the people
> who market them make a point of not being clear about what they can and
> can't do.

I see no problem with a customer running Tor as long as they
pay for the traffic. If the CPU load is considerable, it may
ask for a beefier host, which would put it into a slightly more
expensive class (say, 10$ instead of 5$). Of course you can
get a flat rodet physical server for some 30 EUR/month, but these
are definitely scams.