Re: Wiki about usage of vservers still up to date? / What are descriptors?

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 12:42:59PM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:

> This trend is not a coincidence -- the goal of the vserver scam is to
> sell you something that you think will work and then it turns out to
> have lots of weird artificial limits. You could try asking "Can I run

This isn't entirely fair. Some virtual hosting providers are pretty
responsive, while others aren't. Just like anything else in life, YMMV.
If your hosting provider is selling you X GB of tranfer a month, most of
the good ones don't care what you do with it as long as it isn't illegal
or likely to cause them abuse complaints.

Then again, there are plenty of virtual hosting providers who really
only want you to run a mail or web server so they can drastically
oversell their bandwidth. Check your broadband company's "contract"
(which is usually just abusive ToS in most cases, IMHO) and you'll see
where the hosting providers get their ideas.

If you want to run a Tor server off a virtual host, shop around. I'm
pretty sure you'll be able to find a company that will allow it. I know
I've used virtual servers in the past where the operators were more than
happy to make modifications to suit my legitimate needs; maybe they'll
do the same for you.

--
Re-Interpreting Historic Miracles with SED #141: %s/water/wine/g