Re: Another Method to Block Java Hijinks

On 4/5/07, James Muir <jamuir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
norvid wrote:

<snip>

I've heard that properly configuring a firewall can be tricky.  In any
case, using a firewall still doesn't protect from Java applets reading
identifying information locally and sending it back through the
anonymous connection.

Actually, I believe that with the browser denied access to the internet, the normal 2-way java applet communication is prevented. Please try the test I mentioned.

In my opinion, I think its best just to disable Java, and all the other plugins mentioned in the warning on the download page.

I agree. I am throwing my idea out here just for info purposes so that those who know more than I might take it into consideration for whatever it's worth (perhaps not much).

You may be interested to know that there is a Live CD which bundles Tor and some ipchains rules. It is mentioned in the Tor FAQ -- see "Virtual Privacy Machine":

I am perfectly happy for my purposes with the way I have Tor configured. I'd likely give that a try if and when I get a new machine with a new OS.

<snip>

Dave