Re: Another Method to Block Java Hijinks

I've tested JanusVM with QEMU; still having a few issues there with the routing and windows causing a nasty loopback effect on traffic.  Hopefully I will have this resolved soon, because I would really like to get this running live in windows off a CD and I think (Qemu + Windows Accelerator) would have a much better foot print in size and speed compared to VMware or Moka5.

Moka5 does VMWare for USB devices (or "LIVE PC's").  The problem I found with Moka5 was it didn't like running off a CD, and really was designed to be run off a USB devices.  Also, it had the same effect as the TAP-Win32 Adapter in terms of installing and un-installing.  You could install it once, but after you un-installed it, you had to reboot.

Qemu has a few problems being run from a CD, and similar to VMware, you still have to install the TAP-Win32 Adapter to get the networking to work from the VM correctly.  Also, after you un-install the TAP Adapter, you have to reboot windows before you can re-install it again.

I did get a version ( Moka5/VMware and Qemu) of this working off of a CD, but it had to copy files to the hard drive in a temp directory before use, then use sdelete to securely (7 passes) erase the files from the hard drive after the emulator exited.
Personally, I didn't like having to copy files (other than the TAP-Win32 Adapter files) from the CD to the HD, so I never released it...even though I'm still sitting on the raw images from the last few months.

I like both Qemu and VMware and plan on supporting them both at some point.

As for the licensing, I think Qemu fits the bill, or pretty close anyway.

From the Qemu site:  http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/license.html
"
The following points clarify the QEMU licenses: "

And the Debian Free Software Guidelines at wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_Free_Software_Guidelines) says

"
  1. Free redistribution.
  2. Inclusion of source code.
  3. Allowing for modifications and derived works.
  4. Integrity of the author's source code (as a compromise for the likes of TeX).
  5. No discrimination against persons or groups.
  6. No discrimination against fields of endeavor, like commercial use.
  7. The license needs to apply to all to whom the program is redistributed.
  8. License must not be specific to Debian, basically a reiteration of the last point.
  9. License must not contaminate other software.
  10. The GPL, BSD, and Artistic licenses are examples of licenses considered free.
"

Roger, would this work for you?
If so, I would be happy to release our Qemu image.  :)

~Kyle

On 4/10/07, Smuggler <smuggler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Roger Dingledine wrote:
>>> Kyle: this would be more useful if it didn't depend on a non-free vm
>>> player. Do any of the free software variants of VMWare actually work
>>> well enough for this approach?

[snip]

> Whoops, I should probably clarify my terms before this thread blows
> up. By non-free, I mean software not available under a Debian Free
> Software Guidelines style license.

[snip]

Try qemu. http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
Works just fine for the purpose. A little slower though.

--smuggler