Re: Using a Proxy with Tor

Thus spake Roger Dingledine (arma@xxxxxxx):

> On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 06:41:43PM -0700, Mike Perry wrote:
> > Regretably the proxy behavior with Tor is not all that good. For
> > example, if for some reason the proxy is unreachable, it fails
> > silently and reverts to non-proxied connections. If the proxy refuses
> > to allow you to connect to a particular IP/port (for example, if you
> > do not specify FascistFirewall), it prints out a warn, and then
> > reconnects without using the proxy.
>
> Can you clarify this bug report? I was under the impression that Tor's
> proxy behavior was perfect, at least in 0.1.1.10-alpha and later.

The above was what I noticed while briefly testing SETCONF HttpsProxy
via the control port for different proxies, some unreachable, some
that gave me 403 errors. It seemed that after the proxy failed once,
it was ignored. Sometimes it failed silently and then was ignored.

I suppose I could have been doing something strange accidentally. Or
maybe the control port setting wasn't properly being propagated. I can
retest sometime next week if you need me to.

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist