Re: Tor and Thunderbird / Mail.app

On Apr 13, 2008, at 12:47:23, Holmes Wilson wrote:

Is IMAP through SOCKS? I'm just using Privoxy, and not using a SOCKS proxy. I guess that's the problem?

Is SOCKS a solution? I saw there was some issue about it having identifying header information.

Privoxy is an HTTP proxy that hands off HTTP requests to Tor via SOCKS. Privoxy also does some header-scrubbing and other stuff to help protect privacy.

You can use Tor directly as a SOCKS proxy, but then the application (like Mail or Safari) is responsible for not leaking stuff in headers. There's nothing comparable to Privoxy for IMAP, as far as I know, so if you want to run IMAP over Tor, you have to set your computer to use Tor as a SOCKS proxy.

/jgt
--
http://tamboli.cx/