Polipo and dnsUseGethostbyname - what is the best option and does it matter?

Hello,

The standard Polipo configuration file for Ubuntu located at https://svn.torproject.org/svn/torbrowser/trunk/build-scripts/config/polipo.conf should replace the configuration file one downloads when Polipo is installed according to http://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-unix.html.en.

The Polipo configuration from https://svn.torproject.org/svn/torbrowser/trunk/build-scripts/config/polipo.conf says:

# Uncomment this to disable Polipo's DNS resolver and use the system's
# default resolver instead. If you do that, Polipo will freeze during
# every DNS query:

dnsUseGethostbyname = yes

However, section 3.9 of the Polipo manual says:

Polipo usually tries to speak the DNS protocol itself rather than using the system re- solver5 . Its precise behaviour is controlled by the value of dnsUseGethostbyname. If dnsUseGethostbyname is false, Polipo never uses the system resolver. If it is reluctantly (the default), Polipo tries to speak DNS and falls back to the system resolver if a name server could not be contacted. If it is happily, Polipo tries to speak DNS, and falls back to the system resolver if the host couldn’t be found for any reason (this is not a good idea for shared proxies). Finally, if dnsUseGethostbyname is true, Polipo never tries to speak DNS itself and uses the
system resolver straight away (this is not recommended).

Three questions:

First, since "yes" is not one of the four options listed in 3.9 what does this mean? I was using "yes" for many months without realizing it was not an option. How does Polipo use "yes"? Why is this in the config file?

Second, surely the best option is "false". That way even if there is a problem with Polipo's DNS it will not use the local DNS as listed in resolv.conf. Some people might say: put OpenDNS in resolv.conf. However, I am on an academic network which does not permit me to modify the DNS; changing resolv.conf means I have no connection. (I know about the dnsNameServer option but let's leave that for now).

Third, I always use Polipo with Tor. Even if dnsUseGethostbyname is set to "yes" or any of the four valid options does this matter? Are DNS requests passed through Polipo to Tor and then Tor does its DNS resolution (after the final exit node if I understand correctly?) so this setting in the configuration file is not important? Or does Polipo do the DNS resolution before traffic is passed on to Tor in which case the configuration file is crucial? In other words, when is DNS resolved when using Tor and Polipo?

Thanks.