Re: [or-talk] where are the exit nodes gone?

     On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 10:05:06 -0600 Kasimir Gabert <kasimir.g@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 9:01 AM, Scott Bennett <bennett@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> =A0 =A0 On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 15:23:16 +0200 Olaf Selke <olaf.selke@blutmag=
>ie.de>
>> wrote:
> [snipped]
>>>
>>>maybe I take your advice and add php code at blutmagie tns to sum up the
>>>extra-info average rate data and print the so calculated bandwidth
>>>instead of max observed one.
>>
>> =A0 =A0 You might communicate with Kasimir Gabert about that. =A0I think =
>he said
>> some months ago that he was going to do that for his torstatus stuff, so
>> what you want might already be written.

     Thanks for responding to that so quickly, Kasimir.  It should save Olaf
some time.

>I've been really busy these past numerous months, but that code is
>written.  You can find it in the trunk version of TorStatus.  I'm
>giving myself two weeks at the end of this semester to get a new
>interface that was designed for me implemented, redo the PHP frontend
>code base, and push out a new version. :)
>
>You can get the "actual" bandwidth code already, however.  I used a
>moving average to calculate it.

     Did you just use a boxcar average?  If so, it will have significant
(I'd guess a peak of about 2% of true amplitude) Gibbs ringing in the
result, but given the erratic quality of the source data (i.e., the mix
of varying lengths of records, times of day, and so forth) and given how
the results will be used, it's probably no big deal, and no one is likely
to realize the ringing is present when they look at a graph of it anyway.
How many 15-minute periods wide is the window?

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG