Re: huge pages, was where are the exit nodes gone?

     On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:15:18 +0200 Olaf Selke <olaf.selke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>Scott Bennett wrote:
>
>>      Now that you've had tor running for a while, what does a
>> "cat /proc/meminfo | grep -i hugepage" show you?  Also, 126 such pages
>> equal 256 MB of memory.  Is that really enough to hold your entire tor
>> process when it's going full tilt?  I thought I had seen you post items
>> here in the past that said it was taking well over 1 GB and approaching
>> 2 GB.
>
>tor process crashed with out of memory error ;-)
>Apr 13 11:06:39.419 [err] Out of memory on malloc(). Dying.

     Hmm.  Looks like you need to raise its stack segment and/or data segment
size limit(s).

>After restarting the tor process HugePages_Total and HugePages_Free
>still had a value of 126, so I assume tor didn't use them. Eventually I
>disabled them.

     Well, the first number shouldn't change.  If tor had already quit, the
the HugePages_Free value, even if some had been allocated/reserved, should
have reverted to the HugePages_Total value anyway, so what you saw there
should really be no surprise.
     Have you found anything yet about huge pages in the LINUX man pages or
other documentation?  It seems to me that the documentation kind of has to
cover the use of huge pages *somewhere*.  Does LINUX have anything like
apropos(1) for finding things by keystring in the man page collection?

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG