Re: [tor-talk] Google disable web-access to gmail for Tor-users?

On 4/2/2011 12:16 PM, Matthew wrote:

This problem has been discussed before, but I don't know the real solution, if there is one. Because the Tor exit node (in my case) appears to be in a diff country than one given to Gmail when opened the acct (or the assumed country from my orig IP address), Google thinks it may be someone trying to hack the acct. There may be settings users can change in their acct to have Google (or other providers) to contact in a case like this, other than sending your phone #, to verify your identity. Don't think I'll be sending them my phone #. I've never seen this or heard of them (or any site) asking users to send their phone #. Yes, I'm sure I was on the real Gmail login page - https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLoginAuth

When I set up my acct, I chose "security questions" for verification (or at least if forget my password), but in this case, seems Google isn't using that to verify I'm the real acct owner.

It might be possible to limit relays Tor uses to your country, but never dealt w/ that. Others will know more than me.

Using StrictExitNodes 1 limits the nodes to whatever you have set for ExitNodes. For example:

StrictExitNodes 1

#ExitNodes blutmagie
#ExitNodes blutmagie2
#ExitNodes cassiope
ExitNodes DynoTor

Would set the exitnode to DynoTor (in the UK). You can have multiple uncommented ExitNodes. You can also select by country, for example:

ExitNodes {au} # Australia

Question: when you got this error were you playing around with temporary cookies? Why not let TorButton handle your cookies or allow cookies then securely delete cookies.sqlite afterwards? Then see if you have the same problem.

After the OP's question about Gmail & cookies, I tried logging w/ Tor. At 1st, I got "cookies disabled" msg. Then, I used the addon "Cookie Monster" to allow a temporary cookie. NOTE: Whether using a cookie mgr addon or Firefox's cookie mgr, I disallow all cookies globally, then allow sites as needed. Don't know how, if this affects Torbutton's function (assume it shouldn't - but Torbutton obviously wasn't letting Google set a cookie). Maybe a cookie exception for a site already has to be in firefox permissions file for Torbutton to allow site to set cookies?

I am using Torbutton 1.3.2a. AFAIK, when active, Torbutton is handling my cookies (obviously not, or not to Google's liking). I'm using default settings in Torbutton >Cookies tab. Is there a specific non default option that needs to be checked?

My about:config entry for extensions.torbutton.xfer_google_cookies is set to true.

I'll show my ignorance - where would the entries for Strict Exit Nodes be entered / stored?

Google has really changed it's login / security login / PW recovery policies & acct settings. Good, I guess. But the last issue I encountered appeared specifically related to Tor using a non US exit node (I'm guessing). May be (new) settings in a Gmail acct that would allow verifying acct (if get the kind of error I did w/ Tor), other than giving them your phone # or resetting PW.