Re: [tor-talk] To Toggle, or not to Toggle: The End of Torbutton

On 4/22/2011 10:27 AM, Andrew Lewman wrote:
On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 10:53:19 -0400
The Doctor<drwho@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Perhaps I'm confused over the details, but I do this daily.  I use TBB
for my anonymous/private browsing and the system firefox for
non-anonymous/private browsing.  The two never mix profiles, memory,
cache, etc.

It works fine on a netbook with a low-end atom cpu and 512mb of ram.

Where most users have problems is if they just install a new (or 2nd version) of Firefox (not Tor Browser Bundle, including a modified Firefox), it will use the "default" profile, specified in the profiles.ini file. I've never installed the TBB, so don't know how it handles profiles. From what you say, it creates a separate one automatically. Installing Firefox d/l from Mozilla doesn't create a new profile, if one already exists. It uses the old one by default, unless you create a new profile (using Profile Manager) & specify that profile will be used by the new FX version (or 2nd install of same vers.).

This is where many avg users become confused. If they're trying to use 2 instances of the "official" releases of Firefox from Mozilla & have them use diff profiles (for what ever reason).