Re: [tor-talk] access sites

On Thu, 2012-04-05 at 03:57 +0300, Maxim Kammerer wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 01:45, Roger Dingledine <arma@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > There has been some research on what Tor *traffic* is, but the methodology
> > soundness is always a question. The question here though is what the
> > breakdown of Tor *users* is. Nobody's done a scientifically valid study,
> > mostly because of the difficulty of getting a good sample when you're
> > talking about anonymous people.
>
> Table 2 (with Germany at the top) in [1] does seem to suggest that
> âPrivacy enthusiastsâ represent a significant proportion of Tor users.
> Perhaps a 2nd place is deserved (higher than the âLooniesâ) in the
> estimated breakdown above. I would also place human rights activists
> somewhere at the bottom of the list. The âMilitariesâ section on the
> âTor usersâ page is most likely completely phony, though.
>
> [1] http://www.springerlink.com/content/b7v2p84331286k0g/

Yes, with Turkey, Russia, Italy, and China just below Germany in that
same table.

I suppose people trying to use the Internet anonymously in those
countries are just "privacy enthusiasts"?

It'd be interesting to cross-reference that table with recent Freedom on
the Net reports
(<http://www.freedomhouse.org/report-types/freedom-net>), but I'm not
going to spend that much time on a tor-talk post.

(Also, have you missed the mail *on this list* from .mil domains?)

--
Sent from Ubuntu