Re: [tor-talk] CloudFlare

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 00:35:58 +0000, grarpamp wrote:
> > you are coming off as a clueless jerk.
> However the recent direct name calling and abuse amongst
> people on this list needs to stop right now.

You failed to demonstrate an understanding of the
specific situation of wikipedia which makes the
response in question not entirely unappropriate.

> Yes, it's a hard human problem. One for which I think there
> are better solutions than just IP based blocking.

Now, what would they be in this case? As I understand
the problem we have very few people that are so toxic
to the wikipedia community that they simply need to
get blocked. If you don't block tor just like any
other IP range those jerks appear from then you need
either a way to identify those jerks (obviously
impossible given tor's properties), or identify
the good guys coming in via tor (which is something
we might not want to, re anonymity).

The only idea that comes to my mind is a reputation
system, but how do you tell apart the cooperative
newbie from the fivehundert accounts of the jerk
initially? (Reputation needs to be built into
a site, see stackoverflow.com, i guess. Reputation
is also 'I already have an account', but the question
how to allow to get one via tor without opening up for
the bad guy.)

> My problem is with simple IP blocking, especially when you take
> out an entire shared access system such as Tor with it. It's crude
> and takes the ham with the spam.

Wikipedia obviously thinks different - that spam is too
poisonous to accept with the ham.

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."