Re: [tor-talk] Tor Summer of Privacy

On 4/5/15, Zenaan Harkness <zen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If we want a better future in 30 years, how can we achieve that? ...
> What is the next step?
>
> Bind oneself (oh ye powerful tech hacker for freedom) to make no
> compromise of means, for any purported ends.

as an individual doing things independently, you are shielded from NSL
silent screwing.

if you are trying to run a business, this becomes a concern.

however as an individual you are more vulnerable to "display of power"
pressures, with less resources to resist them.

the only reliable advice i can see is to speak up rather than suffer in silence.

> Here is one example from which I draw some limited personal inspiration:
> http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/20/why-did-lavabit-shut-down-snowden-email
>
> That's a tough road to hoe though. I say it's the only road worth
> walking. I wish there were more.

this example bothers me because Ladar put himself in position of
having the ability to get at the keys of users. this is a bad place to
be, as demonstrated by NSLs and lucre. Very different than writing
open source for any to use.

> How is to one feel anything but "yeah, enslavement is entirely
> appropriate for this lot called humans"??...
> Is the real problem the problem of we humans?

the earth humans are pretty atrocious, it is true. they're also pretty
awesome :)

a mixed bag...

> Frankly, from what I see in the world, the TOR guys are, within
> certain parameters, doing reasonably well. I may be seeing a total
> illusion, and I can neither prove nor disprove my feelings on the
> matter.

it's Tor, and

we can discuss more applicable metrics, like fast to respond to and
release fixes for serious security issues.  they're working hard to
address funding diversity, that long sore subject. etc. etc.

best regards,