Re: [tor-talk] [tor-dev] Porting Tor Browser to the BSDs

On 04/11/2015 06:19 PM, Yuri wrote:
> On 02/17/2015 08:30, Libertas wrote:
>> Has anyone looked into this? I talked to the maintainer of the OpenBSD
>> Firefox port, but he wasn't very interested and pointed out the
>> difficulty caused by the deterministic build system.
>>
>> I can verify that it doesn't work out of the box, but haven't had time
>> to play with it much more than that. I think that the Tor Browser is an
>> increasingly important tool, and that it's a problem that it isn't
>> available on the BSDs.
>>
>> Thoughts? Suggestions?
>

> There is no need to port TBB to BSD. Not worth of the effort. TBB is
> unable to 100% separate tor and non-tor connections due to the network
> stack architecture. TBB users are typically recommended to disable
> JavaScript, to disable Flash, to not go to certain websites, to not use
> any plugins and addons, etc. This doesn't sound like a very secure
> system. The potential leaks (IP and DNS) are virtually unavoidable with
> TBB.

Well, Tor browser is arguably better for anonymity than stock Firefox.

> Security-by-isolation approach provides much better security in general,
> because it relies on the small and simple code in the core of the
> network tunnel.
>
> Whonix https://www.whonix.org is a very good solution available on all
> BSDs today. For some reason it remains under-appreciated.

I totally agree. But Whonix uses Tor browser :)

> I myself also designed and implemented another solution for FreeBSD:
> vbox-to-tor https://github.com/yurivict/freebsd-vbox-to-tor It allows to
> run the user choice of OS in VirtualBox machine which is connected to
> the tor instance that is running on the host. It is extremely easy to
> setup, only few lines in rc.conf. (well, it will be extremely easy when
> it will be in ports and when kernel and port patches are in).

That's cool. I like running the Tor client in pfSense VMs. Or in
Raspberry Pi
<http://lwcl5doqq2uzjmom.onion/Raspian-wheezy-VPN-Tor-Gateway-Workspace-r0.html>.
And then there's Whonix in Qubes <https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Qubes> :)