Re: [tor-talk] [tor-dev] Porting Tor Browser to the BSDs

On 02/17/2015 08:30, Libertas wrote:
Has anyone looked into this? I talked to the maintainer of the OpenBSD
Firefox port, but he wasn't very interested and pointed out the
difficulty caused by the deterministic build system.

I can verify that it doesn't work out of the box, but haven't had time
to play with it much more than that. I think that the Tor Browser is an
increasingly important tool, and that it's a problem that it isn't
available on the BSDs.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

There is no need to port TBB to BSD. Not worth of the effort. TBB is unable to 100% separate tor and non-tor connections due to the network stack architecture. TBB users are typically recommended to disable JavaScript, to disable Flash, to not go to certain websites, to not use any plugins and addons, etc. This doesn't sound like a very secure system. The potential leaks (IP and DNS) are virtually unavoidable with TBB.

Security-by-isolation approach provides much better security in general, because it relies on the small and simple code in the core of the network tunnel.

Whonix https://www.whonix.org is a very good solution available on all BSDs today. For some reason it remains under-appreciated.

I myself also designed and implemented another solution for FreeBSD: vbox-to-tor https://github.com/yurivict/freebsd-vbox-to-tor It allows to run the user choice of OS in VirtualBox machine which is connected to the tor instance that is running on the host. It is extremely easy to setup, only few lines in rc.conf. (well, it will be extremely easy when it will be in ports and when kernel and port patches are in).

Yuri