Re: [tor-talk] Nice to meet you! / WhatsApp by Tor?

On 04/16/2019 08:48 AM, GTI .H wrote:
> Hi everyone, this is my first post here!
>
> Excuse me if this is not the right place to ask this, I also think this may
> have been asked a lot, if that's the case, please direct me.
>
> I want to use Tor to hide the origin IP in WhatsApp. I already have a
> method, but I do not know if it is effective:
>
> * With the Tor Browser open, I configured with Tor Browser data the Proxy
> socket on my OS W10 that accesses the Internet over Ethernet,
> * I connected my Android Smartphone to my W10 WiFi.
> * I also have the OrBot on Android, but I do not know if it is effective to
> hide my IP to the destination.
>
> It works?
> I see in my W10 Chrome that my IP has changed, but I'm not sure my IP will
> not leak, for example through the UDP protocol.
>
> Please, how can I use Tor to hide the origin IP in WhatsApp Android?

Your safest option, if you must use WhatsApp, is to use it in an Android
VM, running on a small tablet, which uses WiFi for connectivity. You can
lease real mobile SIMs from sites like https://speedyverify.com/ and do
it ~anonymously using well-mixed Bitcoin.

I don't know whether WhatsApp absolutely requires UDP. If it does, then
using Tor would be difficult. You'd probably need to route a TCP-based
VPN service through it. Or instead, you could just use a VPN service, or
better, a nested VPN chain. I could offer more information if you like.