Re: [tor-talk] Is there a way to use internet in a sandbox environment? (Linux)

On 04/03/2019 08:03 AM, Ben Tasker wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 3:17 PM npdflr <npdflr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Thanks a lot Jim for the information.
>>

>> If I am running a live system on a DVD for internet access and booting
>> from that DVD then the DVD should be able to write some data on itself
>> (Example: if I am using a browser then the browser needs to write some data
>> on the DVD to function). So, I would need a DVD-RW (DVD rewritable) not
>> DVD-R (one-time recordable disc)
>>

> No, one time recordable is fine (preferable, even).

Yes. That's the point. Although it's possible to write to "one time
recordable" DVDs, that requires custom software and a cooperative DVD drive.

> When the system boots from the disk, it loads the OS into memory, so things
> like your browser cache files are written into memory (and so lost when the
> DIMMs lose charge).  If you want persistence then most live CDs will allow
> you to provide a writeable media (normally a USB drive) for that purpose,
> but then you get back into the risks associated with having writeable media
> available.

True. And there are some limitations. As far as I know, all live
read-only systems allocate half of the physical RAM to the system, and
half to working memory. So if your machine has 4GB RM, you can load at
most a 2GB system image.

But DVDs can hold ~4.7GB. So if your machine has 8GB RAM, you can load
4GB from the DVD. Years ago, I built a live ISO with Debian, VirtualBox,
a pfSense VPN gateway VM, and stripped-down Whonix gateway and
workstation VMs. The workstation VM had just a simple openbox GUI. It
took several minutes to boot, but was very responsive afterward.

>> Running a live system on a USB would still have some risk as the USB could
>> read/write data to the attached Hard Disk of the PC or Laptop.
>>
>> A DVD-RW can't read/write to the attached Hard Disk on its own, am I right?
>>

> It can just as easily as the same ISO running off the USB could. If you
> need that level of security, then you're going to want to remove the
> harddrive from the system.

Or just unplug the data and power cables.