Re: Basic questions

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 12:20:48AM -0700, Hee So wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got the Tor client working on Windows for HTTP and IRC cuz
> the applications had support for SOCKS.
> I saw the documentation on tsock/socat. This solution is for Unix only.
> I've got a couple ssh clients on windows that don't support any
> kind of proxy. Is there a solution for windows apps that
> do not support SOCKS to use Tor?

I know there's at least one Windows solution that acts a little like
tsocks, but I haven't used any myself.  SocksCap looks as though it
might do what you want, but I'm not sure it's the very best.

> When the Tor server is setup, is it supose to be a Directory Server
> or an Onion Router?

You should probably run an onion router if you want to be a server;
I'll try to clarify this in the documentation.  If you just want to
run a client yourself, you don't need to set ORport at all.

> Is the Onion Router a SOCKS proxy, a modified SOCKS proxy to support
> the Tor feature set, or something completely different?

Tor runs as a superset of socks4 and socks4a, and implements some (but
not all) of socks5.  To see what parts of socks tor supports, see
  http://freehaven.net/tor/cvs/doc/socks-extensions.txt

Hope this helps,
--
Nick Mathewson