Tor 0.1.2.1-alpha is out

This is the first development snapshot for the 0.1.2.x series. It features
an asynchronous DNS library from Adam Langley, better performance and
memory overhead for clients and servers, and more.

http://tor.eff.org/download.html

(Windows bundles aren't ready yet, since none of the developers have
Windows these days; they'll be up...sometime.)

Changes in version 0.1.2.1-alpha - 2006-08-27
  o Major features:
    - Add "eventdns" async dns library from Adam Langley, tweaked to
      build on OSX and Windows. Only enabled if you pass the
      --enable-eventdns argument to configure.
    - Allow servers with no hostname or IP address to learn their
      IP address by asking the directory authorities. This code only
      kicks in when you would normally have exited with a "no address"
      error. Nothing's authenticated, so use with care.
    - Rather than waiting a fixed amount of time between retrying
      application connections, we wait only 5 seconds for the first,
      10 seconds for the second, and 15 seconds for each retry after
      that. Hopefully this will improve the expected user experience.
    - Patch from Tup to add support for transparent AP connections:
      this basically bundles the functionality of trans-proxy-tor
      into the Tor mainline. Now hosts with compliant pf/netfilter
      implementations can redirect TCP connections straight to Tor
      without diverting through SOCKS. Needs docs.
    - Busy directory servers save lots of memory by spooling server
      descriptors, v1 directories, and v2 networkstatus docs to buffers
      as needed rather than en masse. Also mmap the cached-routers
      files, so we don't need to keep the whole thing in memory too.
    - Automatically avoid picking more than one node from the same
      /16 network when constructing a circuit.
    - Revise and clean up the torrc.sample that we ship with; add
      a section for BandwidthRate and BandwidthBurst.

  o Minor features:
    - Split circuit_t into origin_circuit_t and or_circuit_t, and
      split connection_t into edge, or, dir, control, and base structs.
      These will save quite a bit of memory on busy servers, and they'll
      also help us track down bugs in the code and bugs in the spec.
    - Experimentally re-enable kqueue on OSX when using libevent 1.1b
      or later. Log when we are doing this, so we can diagnose it when
      it fails. (Also, recommend libevent 1.1b for kqueue and
      win32 methods; deprecate libevent 1.0b harder; make libevent
      recommendation system saner.)
    - Start being able to build universal binaries on OS X (thanks
      to Phobos).
    - Export the default exit policy via the control port, so controllers
      don't need to guess what it is / will be later.
    - Add a man page entry for ProtocolWarnings.
    - Add TestVia config option to the man page.
    - Remove even more protocol-related warnings from Tor server logs,
      such as bad TLS handshakes and malformed begin cells.
    - Stop fetching descriptors if you're not a dir mirror and you
      haven't tried to establish any circuits lately. [This currently
      causes some dangerous behavior, because when you start up again
      you'll use your ancient server descriptors.]
    - New DirPort behavior: if you have your dirport set, you download
      descriptors aggressively like a directory mirror, whether or not
      your ORPort is set.
    - Get rid of the router_retry_connections notion. Now routers
      no longer try to rebuild long-term connections to directory
      authorities, and directory authorities no longer try to rebuild
      long-term connections to all servers. We still don't hang up
      connections in these two cases though -- we need to look at it
      more carefully to avoid flapping, and we likely need to wait til
      0.1.1.x is obsolete.
    - Drop compatibility with obsolete Tors that permit create cells
      to have the wrong circ_id_type.
    - Re-enable per-connection rate limiting. Get rid of the "OP
      bandwidth" concept. Lay groundwork for "bandwidth classes" --
      separate global buckets that apply depending on what sort of conn
      it is.
    - Start publishing one minute or so after we find our ORPort
      to be reachable. This will help reduce the number of descriptors
      we have for ourselves floating around, since it's quite likely
      other things (e.g. DirPort) will change during that minute too.
    - Fork the v1 directory protocol into its own spec document,
      and mark dir-spec.txt as the currently correct (v2) spec.

  o Major bugfixes:
    - When we find our DirPort to be reachable, publish a new descriptor
      so we'll tell the world (reported by pnx).
    - Publish a new descriptor after we hup/reload. This is important
      if our config has changed such that we'll want to start advertising
      our DirPort now, etc.
    - Allow Tor to start when RunAsDaemon is set but no logs are set.
    - When we have a state file we cannot parse, tell the user and
      move it aside. Now we avoid situations where the user starts
      Tor in 1904, Tor writes a state file with that timestamp in it,
      the user fixes her clock, and Tor refuses to start.
    - Fix configure.in to not produce broken configure files with
      more recent versions of autoconf. Thanks to Clint for his auto*
      voodoo.
    - "tor --verify-config" now exits with -1(255) or 0 depending on
      whether the config options are bad or good.
    - Resolve bug 321 when using dnsworkers: append a period to every
      address we resolve at the exit node, so that we do not accidentally
      pick up local addresses, and so that failing searches are retried
      in the resolver search domains. (This is already solved for
      eventdns.) (This breaks Blossom servers for now.)
    - If we are using an exit enclave and we can't connect, e.g. because
      its webserver is misconfigured to not listen on localhost, then
      back off and try connecting from somewhere else before we fail.

  o Minor bugfixes:
    - Start compiling on MinGW on Windows (patches from Mike Chiussi).
    - Start compiling on MSVC6 on Windows (patches from Frediano Ziglio).
    - Fix bug 314: Tor clients issued "unsafe socks" warnings even
      when the IP address is mapped through MapAddress to a hostname.
    - Start passing "ipv4" hints to getaddrinfo(), so servers don't do
      useless IPv6 DNS resolves.
    - Patch suggested by Karsten Loesing: respond to SIGNAL command
      before we execute the signal, in case the signal shuts us down.
    - Clean up AllowInvalidNodes man page entry.
    - Claim a commonname of Tor, rather than TOR, in TLS handshakes.
    - Add more asserts to track down an assert error on a windows Tor
      server with connection_add being called with socket == -1.
    - Handle reporting OR_CONN_EVENT_NEW events to the controller.
    - Fix misleading log messages: an entry guard that is "unlisted",
      as well as not known to be "down" (because we've never heard
      of it), is not therefore "up".
    - Remove code to special-case "-cvs" ending, since it has not
      actually mattered since 0.0.9.
    - Make our socks5 handling more robust to broken socks clients:
      throw out everything waiting on the buffer in between socks
      handshake phases, since they can't possibly (so the theory
      goes) have predicted what we plan to respond to them.