Re: Proposal of a new hidden wiki

On Wednesday 08 August 2007 19:32:39 Ringo Kamens wrote:
> I'm interested in testing this out with somebody. Until then, can any
> devs/tor hackers enlighten us as to what would determine which host
> gets picked? Would it be whoever is the fewest hops away? If so, one
> host would get the most traffic if it was consistently closest to fast
> servers.
> Comrade Ringo Kamens

The spec says:

  Upon receiving a descriptor, the directory server checks the signature,
   and discards the descriptor if the signature does not match the enclosed
   public key.  Next, the directory server checks the timestamp.  If the
   timestamp is more than 24 hours in the past or more than 1 hour in the
   future, or the directory server already has a newer descriptor with the
   same public key, the server discards the descriptor.  Otherwise, the
   server discards any older descriptors with the same public key and
   version format, and associates the new descriptor with the public key.
   The directory server remembers this descriptor for at least 24 hours
   after its timestamp.  At least every 18 hours, Bob's OP uploads a
   fresh descriptor.

So if a number of servers shared the same hidden-service key they would just
overwrite each other's descriptor with each upload. They would never
co-exist, instead the most recent poster would get the traffic.

It seems like it should work as long as the servers agreed to update at
different times. Not sure how secure such a service would be though.

--

Browse Anonymously Anywhere	- http://anonymityanywhere.com
TorK	- KDE Anonymity Manager	- http://tork.sf.net