Re: Legal response to real abuse

On 8/7/2010 6:36 AM, andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 11:48:36PM -0700, mikeperry@xxxxxxxxxx wrote 3.4K bytes in 84 lines about:
: Now personally, I think that what might be more likely to win you
: points with your ISP is to reiterate that these events are
: extremely rare in comparison to the number of requests and the amount
: of traffic that you carry. The overwhelming majority of people are
: using the service legitimately, and the incident rate is close to that
: of the normal Internet.

In the past, I've modified my exit policy to reject the specific IP
address and port in question to address the abuse complaint.  Shown the
modified exit policy snippet to the ISP's Abuse dept and considered the
specific abuse complaint solved. I've stated the reject line will be
removed in X months, assuming no other abuse complaints from the same IP
address owner.

How can such an overly simplistic action satisfy the ISP? That simply moves the abuser down the block, it does not stop him. Is it OK if it is not in my back yard?