Re: Tor Project 2008 Tax Return Now Online

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Robert Ransom <rransom.8774@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What do you expect the Tor Project to do with zillions of dollars?
Using donated funds to operate more relays, bridges, and exit nodes
won't help much -- Tor nodes need to be dispersed among as many
different operators and ISPs as possible. ÂUsing donated funds to
improve the Tor software is a good thing, but there is a limit to how
much money can be thrown at that -- Tor developers must be competent
programmers, and must understand the Tor software and protocol well.

Also, remember that Tor's opponents would put much more effort into
blocking Tor if it were heavily promoted in the Western media. Â(China
and Iran are not Tor's only opponents -- here in the US, misguided
politicians want to criminalize operating a Tor relay (see S. 436
<http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:S.436.IS:>).)

Hmm. I think I will add you to my list of "holding back the Tor Project from thinking bigger" people. But to clarify, this is not zillions of dollars, and I am not suggesting the Project itself deploy any relays, servers or bridges. Others like Amazon.com, Google, etc need to be convinced to do it.

--
Julie C.
julie@xxxxxxx

GPG key 06D32144 available atÂhttp://keys.gnupg.net