Re: [tor-talk] Firefox with Torbutton started hanging - what can I do?

On 8/11/2011 2:53 PM, David Carlson wrote:
Hi,

I am using Firefox 5.0 on my Windows XP computer with the Vidalia 0.2.12
package. It had been running fine using Torbutton 1.40 which (I believe)
was updated by the last Vidalia update.

I usually leave Torbutton disabled but today I tried to enable it to go
to a hidden website, and it caused Firefox to hang while a script tried
to find a missing .js file in my Firefox default profile extensions folder.

I isolated the problem to be associated with using Torbutton, so I
deleted Torbutton and re-installed it.  Then Torbutton still hangs
Firefox looking for the same missing js file.  Firefox works ok with
Torbutton disabled, but I cannot access hidden websites and I suspect
that I may not be actually using Tor.

Does anyone have a suggestion either on cleaning up the Torbutton
problem or configuring Firefox to use the Tor network correctly without
Torbutton.  I tried searching for the last choice on the Tor website,
but that choice did not jump out at me.

Thank you.

David Carlson

I was able to create a new firefox profile, install Torbutton to that profile, enable it successfully and connect to the sample hidden Tor website.

Now, how can I fix my old Firefox profile, or should I just use that profile only when I want my bank to recognize me, for example.

David Carlson