Re: [tor-talk] Secure email with limited usable metadata

> What's the defect with that approach?
>
> It's actually quite easy using Multibit clients (which are local but
> don't download the blockchain) in Tails, Whonix, Incognito, etc.

Yes, you can effectively swap coins with people, that's one way to go.

The issue of it being difficult to obtain coins anonymously is a maturity
issue. The economy is small, thus, coins go in and out of the economy via
exchanges very regularly. They don't circulate far before being converted
back into local currencies. Because exchanges are financial institutions by
law privacy is not allowed and state monitoring takes place.

The reason I suggested a Bitcoin based solution is that:

   1. The core principle of Tor has always been "anonymity loves company".
   If you aim for a 100% perfect solution and end up with nothing, you are
   worse off than having something that's mostly good enough.

   2. Over time the privacy properties of Bitcoin will get better as wallet
   software improves, the economy grows, etc. So you get all those
   improvements "for free".

   3. It requires no new third parties to be set up, as other schemes do.
   You could, theoretically, just download an app, give it some bitcoins you
   bought from a street vendor, and then manufacture yourself a
   proof-of-sacrifice that could be used to sign up for accounts/do any other
   abusable action. All you need is software.