Re: [tor-talk] Secure email with limited usable metadata

On 08/11/2013 01:21 PM, Mike Hearn wrote:

>> What's the defect with that approach?
>>
>> It's actually quite easy using Multibit clients (which are local
>> but don't download the blockchain) in Tails, Whonix, Incognito,
>> etc.
>

> Yes, you can effectively swap coins with people, that's one way to
> go.

But you're still buying them non-anonymously. Even buying with cash on
the street isn't very anonymous. And using a Bitcoin mixing service is
rather a red flag, no?

> The issue of it being difficult to obtain coins anonymously is a
> maturity issue. The economy is small, thus, coins go in and out of
> the economy via exchanges very regularly. They don't circulate far
> before being converted back into local currencies. Because exchanges
> are financial institutions by law privacy is not allowed and state
> monitoring takes place.

Right. With more Bitcoin users and longer circulation, stronger
anonymity through mixing will become possible. On the other hand, as the
Bitcoin economy has become larger, state monitoring has increased, and
even semi-anonymous purchasing has become harder. For example,
BitInstant imposed identity verification, and then shut down.

There's a potentially very large market niche for selling Bitcoins
anonymously, but the logistical challenges are immense.

> The reason I suggested a Bitcoin based solution is that:
>
> 1. The core principle of Tor has always been "anonymity loves
> company". If you aim for a 100% perfect solution and end up with
> nothing, you are worse off than having something that's mostly good
> enough.

Indeed.

> 2. Over time the privacy properties of Bitcoin will get better as
> wallet software improves, the economy grows, etc. So you get all
> those improvements "for free".

An app with multiple wallets that automatically anonymized via Tor would
be very cool!

> 3. It requires no new third parties to be set up, as other schemes
> do. You could, theoretically, just download an app, give it some
> bitcoins you bought from a street vendor, and then manufacture
> yourself a proof-of-sacrifice that could be used to sign up for
> accounts/do any other abusable action. All you need is software.

Do you think that Google might be an early adopter?

If not, I wonder who would.