Re: [tor-talk] How can I get Adobe Flash working in the Tor Browser Bundle?

harmony:
> Nathan Suchy:
>> But will Flash go through Tor? Also I'm just looking through an
>> Internet Chatroom not activist work. The admin is a hacker but I
>> don't think I'll need to hide my IP other than from software...
>
> In the TBB design document
> [https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser/design/], the
> project makes the following statements:
>
> 'Plugins have the ability to make arbitrary OS system calls and
> bypass proxy settings. This includes the ability to make UDP
> sockets and send arbitrary data independent of the browser proxy
> settings.'
>
> [...]
>
> 'Currently, we entirely disable all plugins in Tor Browser.
> However, as a compromise due to the popularity of Flash, we allow
> users to re-enable Flash, and flash objects are blocked behind a
> click-to-play barrier that is available only after the user has
> specifically enabled plugins.'
>
> So on this basis I think the answer to your question is 'yes, Flash
> will go through Tor, unless anybody tries anything with you'. You
> will be secure absent an attacker, as they say.

Basically you shouldn't enable it unless you're on something like
TAILS, Whonix, Libertà Linux or Ipredia OS (although that's more for
i2P rather than Tor).

A standard Windows box that can still access the Internet without
going through Tor, is vulnerable to attack, and I wouldn't recommend
enabling flash on that or JavaScript for that matter as that was
recently exploited.

https://blog.torproject.org/blog/hidden-services-current-events-and-freedom-hosting
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-security-advisory-old-tor-browser-bundles-vulnerable

>> On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM, harmony <harmony01@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Nathan Suchy:
>>> of
>>>
>>> If you really want to enable it, just go to 'tools > add-ons',
>>> then 'plugins' and click 'enable' under 'shockwave flash',
>>> BUT:

>>> This is a many-dollar question - see here
>>> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/7008 for
>>> current thinking on the numerous things that could go badly
>>> wrong. -- tor-talk mailing list -
>>> tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx To unsusbscribe or change other
>>> settings go to
>>> https://lists.torproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tor-talk

- --
scarp | A4F7 25DB 2529 CB1A 605B  3CB4 5DA0 4859 0FD4 B313