Re: [tor-talk] Can I use a non-Tor exit node?

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 03:56:27PM -0600, Jim wrote:
> ziggy wrote:
> > I use a service that doesn't allow Tor. But I'd like to use Tor anyway,
> > except at the end of the path where, hopefully, there is a way to use an
> > exit that won't be detected as Tor. Is something like that possible?
> >
> > I'm new at this - hope that doesn't sound too stupid. Thanks
>
> I have occasionally used Tor to access a web proxy (such as
> hidemyass.com) to access sites that weren't allowing Tor.  That's
> probably not the greatest solution but it works if the site isn't also
> blocking the web proxy.

Yep, that's a totally fine and legitimate solution, if it works for you.

The only caution I'd add is if the destination website is using https,
then the web proxy will typically initiate the https connection on
your behalf, thus getting to see all your traffic (no end-to-end
confidentiality) and also preventing your browser from verifying that
it's really the site (no end-to-end authentication).

(https is already confusing to users, and the world of web proxies sure
doesn't make it easier.)

--Roger