Re: [tor-talk] Inquiry about Vidalia/Tor bundle

On 08/26/2013 11:08 PM, Roger Dingledine wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 05:58:22PM -0500, Missouri Anglers wrote:
>> I downloaded and installed "PirateBrowser" which is a Firefox
>> browser configured to use vidalia/tor.
>
> Not quite -- it is a bundle that includes a variety of software
> including Firefox, Vidalia, and Tor, configured in the way they
> wanted to configure it.
>
> Specifically, don't be confused into thinking this is a Tor product,
> or that it will keep you safe in some particular way.
>
> In fact, they even have a disclaimer saying that it's not an
> anonymity tool. And in this case that's not just a disclaimer, it's
> an accurate statement.

That's true, but their disclaimer
<http://piratebrowser.ca/faq_piratebrowser.html> is still extremely
misleading:

> Does it make me surf the net anonymously?
>
> No, Pirate Browser is not intended to be a TOR Browser, while it uses
> the Tor network, which is designed for anonymous surfing, this
> browser is ONLY intended to circumvent censorship. The Tor network is
> used to help route around the censoring / blocking of websites your
> government doesn't want you to know about.
>
> If you are looking for something more secure you may want to try a
> VPN like PrivacyIO.

They could have at least pointed people at TBB!

>> I assume this is simply just a browser set up to use an anonymous
>> proxy?
>
> From what I heard (it's Windows-only so I haven't tried running it
> or decompiling it to find out what it is really), it includes
> Foxyproxy, configured to only go through Tor for a select set of
> sites that are commonly censored. The rest of the sites bypass Tor.

That should be clearly stated in the summary under "Search" at the top
of <http://piratebrowser.ca/>. What they're doing is totally reckless.