Re: [tor-talk] using locally installed Tor in TBB

Patrick Schleizer transcribed 2.4K bytes:
> shmick@xxxxxxxxxx:
> > in 3.6.3 TBB linux amd-64 i changed the port to 9050
> >
> > my local install of Tor is on the jessie alpha channel
> >
> > when i close & restart TBB i get:
> >
> > Something Went Wrong!
> > Tor is not working in this browser.
>
> This happens because of missing Tor ControlPort access.
>
> There are no instructions for how to use TBB with system Tor. But it is
> possible...
>
> Maybe you can add this to torproject.org's wiki?
>
> Environment variable:
>
> ## Deactivate tor-launcher,
> ## a Vidalia replacement as browser extension,
> ## to prevent running Tor over Tor.
> ## https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/6009
> ## https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-launcher.git
> export TOR_SKIP_LAUNCH=1
>
> ## The following TOR_SOCKS_HOST and TOR_SOCKS_PORT variables
> ## do not work flawlessly, due to an upstream bug in Tor Button:
> ## "TOR_SOCKS_HOST, TOR_SOCKS_PORT regression"
> ## https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/8336
> #export TOR_SOCKS_HOST="127.0.0.1"
> #export TOR_SOCKS_PORT="9050"
>
> What should work quite well is using env var "export TOR_SKIP_LAUNCH=1"
> combined with rinetd, redirecting traffic from TBB's ports 9150 and 9151
> to 127.0.0.1 with a config like this:
>
> 127.0.0.1 9150 127.0.0.1 9050
> 127.0.0.1 9151 127.0.0.1 9051
>
> You also need some form of ControlPort authentication.
>
> export TOR_CONTROL_PASSWD="password"
>
> tor --hash-password password
>
> See Tor manual HashedControlPassword.
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en
>
> Add the
>
> HashedControlPassword hashedpassword
> to /etc/tor/torrc and reload (/restart?) Tor.

This should be fixed (for Linux) in an upcoming Tor Browser 4.0 release. I've
added these things to the `start-tor-browser` script. There are:

    - Instructions for use, including additional Firefox preferences that
      you'll need to set (to tell Tor Button where your ControlPort and
      SocksPort are, etc.)

    - An "easy" spot in the `start-tor-browser` script to put in your
      ControlPort password so that it is given to the Firefox process (but not
      exported, because then other programs might be able to steal it)

    - A line will print to your terminal telling you that you're using a
      system-installed Tor.

See #10178, [0] and this commit [1] containing the changes. If you're running
Linux and would like to test these, nightly builds are available. [2]

Contributions to improve this, i.e. automatically setting the preferences for
you, are welcome.

[0]: https://bugs.torproject.org/10178
[1]: https://gitweb.torproject.org/builders/tor-browser-bundle.git/commitdiff/a566e85f785c12157283920a179cdc64fdd28b32
[2]: https://people.torproject.org/~linus/builds/

> > this is repeatable behaviour opening/closing TBB
> >
> > some Tor log looks ok though and apart from logs it obviously does work
> > on 9050
> >
> > [NOTICE] Bootstrapped 85%: Finishing handshake with first hop.
> > [NOTICE] Bootstrapped 90%: Establishing a Tor circuit.
> > [NOTICE] Tor has successfully opened a circuit. Looks like client
> > functionality is working.
> > [NOTICE] Bootstrapped 100%: Done.
> > [NOTICE] New control connection opened.
> >
> > as an aside would it be discouraged to use the alpha in TBB and not the
> > bundled Tor version 0.2.4.22 (git-345e00dc68a052fe) ?
> >
> > pros/cons either way ?
>
> Pros:
> - easier to keep your entry guards longer
>
> Cons:
> - more difficult to set up
>
> Cheers,
> Patrick