Re: [tor-talk] using locally installed Tor in TBB

shmick@xxxxxxxxxx:
> in 3.6.3 TBB linux amd-64 i changed the port to 9050
>
> my local install of Tor is on the jessie alpha channel
>
> when i close & restart TBB i get:
>
> Something Went Wrong!
> Tor is not working in this browser.

This happens because of missing Tor ControlPort access.

There are no instructions for how to use TBB with system Tor. But it is
possible...

Maybe you can add this to torproject.org's wiki?

Environment variable:

## Deactivate tor-launcher,
## a Vidalia replacement as browser extension,
## to prevent running Tor over Tor.
## https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/6009
## https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-launcher.git
export TOR_SKIP_LAUNCH=1

## The following TOR_SOCKS_HOST and TOR_SOCKS_PORT variables
## do not work flawlessly, due to an upstream bug in Tor Button:
## "TOR_SOCKS_HOST, TOR_SOCKS_PORT regression"
## https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/8336
#export TOR_SOCKS_HOST="127.0.0.1"
#export TOR_SOCKS_PORT="9050"

What should work quite well is using env var "export TOR_SKIP_LAUNCH=1"
combined with rinetd, redirecting traffic from TBB's ports 9150 and 9151
to 127.0.0.1 with a config like this:

127.0.0.1 9150 127.0.0.1 9050
127.0.0.1 9151 127.0.0.1 9051

You also need some form of ControlPort authentication.

export TOR_CONTROL_PASSWD="password"

tor --hash-password password

See Tor manual HashedControlPassword.
https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en

Add the

HashedControlPassword hashedpassword
to /etc/tor/torrc and reload (/restart?) Tor.

> this is repeatable behaviour opening/closing TBB
>
> some Tor log looks ok though and apart from logs it obviously does work
> on 9050
>
> [NOTICE] Bootstrapped 85%: Finishing handshake with first hop.
> [NOTICE] Bootstrapped 90%: Establishing a Tor circuit.
> [NOTICE] Tor has successfully opened a circuit. Looks like client
> functionality is working.
> [NOTICE] Bootstrapped 100%: Done.
> [NOTICE] New control connection opened.
>
> as an aside would it be discouraged to use the alpha in TBB and not the
> bundled Tor version 0.2.4.22 (git-345e00dc68a052fe) ?
>
> pros/cons either way ?

Pros:
- easier to keep your entry guards longer

Cons:
- more difficult to set up

Cheers,
Patrick