Re: [tor-talk] TOR tried to take a snapshot of my screen

MD5 is not collision resistant, and as such it shouldn't be used for verifying file integrity against tampering. A tampered file might be computed in order to have the same MD5 checksum of the original with a relatively small effort. See for instance
http://eprint.iacr.org/2013/170.pdf

Attacks are particularly effective against .tar.gz, as they allow for arbitrary binary content to be added.

Use cryptographic signatures or, at the very least, a modern hash function like SHA-2/3.

Paolo

On 23 agosto 2014 08:33:56 GMT+09:00, Lee <ler762@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
>gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
>owner.
>Primary key fingerprint: 8738 A680 B84B 3031 A630  F2DB 416F 0610 63FE
>E659
>

>> One of us downloaded a wrong Tor installer package ...
>
>Looks like it was you..
>
>Regards,
>Lee
>

>> Best regards
>>
>> Anton
>> - --
>> no.thing_to-hide at cryptopathie dot eu
>> 0x30C3CDF0, RSA 2048, 24 Mar 2014
>> 0FF8 A811 8857 1B7E 195B 649E CC26 E1A5 30C3 CDF0
>> Bitmessage (no metadata): BM-2cXixKZaqzJmTfz6ojiyLzmKg2JbzDnApC
>>

>> On 22/08/14 23:38,
>BM-2cVvnFWSftFx8dv12L8z8PjejmtrjYjnUY@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have TOR 3.6.3 installed in a Windows XP computer that is used
>>> almost just for it with very few additional software installed. My
>>> understanding is that a potential attacker will test his
>>> exploit/approach against most of the security software available,
>>> but possibly will not be able to test against ALL of them, so I
>>> have a miscelaneous of popular and not popular security software
>>> installed in the same computer; among them is a not so common anti
>>> spyware called Zemana.
>>>
>>> I am using TOR browser and Zemana for years and I am familiar with
>>> the behaviour of both. The TOR I am running has just the extensions
>>> that comes with it; no additional extension was installed; no
>>> plug-in is installed.
>>>
>>> I have proper licenses to run all the software, including Zemana,
>>> so no crack or other suspicious tool was ever used. Zemana is a
>>> quiet software and I can not remember about any single fake alert.
>>>

>>> Few days ago, while browsing with TOR, I got a shocking alert from
>>> Zemana: TOR TRIED TO TAKE A SNAPSHOT OF MY SCREEN.
>>>

>>> As Zemana allow me, I did block such screen capture and TOR
>>> crashed immediatly. By this crash I understand that TOR really
>>> tried to capture my screen.
>>>
>>> I restarted TOR with a new identity, changed the identity many
>>> times but TOR repeated the same behaviour a number of times with
>>> the screen capture try-Zemana block-TOR crash. Change the identity
>>> just does not works for such attacker.
>>>
>>> The script funcions were always blocked by NoScript 2.6.8.36.
>>>
>>> On the following days I used TOR again, without any change in my
>>> system or software, accessing the same web sites but the attack no
>>> longer took place.
>>>

>>> I verified the MD5 signature for the TOR browser (firefox.exe) and
>>> it is unchanged, i.e, it is as distributed by torproject.org
>>>
>>> The TOR 3.6.3 was downloaded from the TOR project web site, and not
>>> from other servers. The install package
>>> torbrowser-install-3.6.3_en-US.exe has the MD5 signature:
>>> 9529C5A633CF0CF6201662CA12630A04 I have the installer in my files