Re: [tor-talk] how many verify their tbb ?

mick:
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 15:54:10 +0100
> mick <mbm@xxxxxxxxxx> allegedly wrote:
>
>> I have just checked on my tails mirror and I get the slightly
>> depressing results below:
>>
>> cat tails.log.1 | grep tails-i386-1.1.iso | grep -v .sig | sort -t. +0
>> -3 -u | wc -l
>>
>> 1774
>>
>> cat tails.log.1 | grep tails-i386-1.1.iso.sig | sort -t. +0 -3 -u | wc
>> -l
>>
>> 12
>>
>> which I make 0.68%
>
> And a similar check on my whonix mirror gives 1.39% requesting the
> signature file for the gateway and 0.86% for the workstation. So -
> equally depressing.

As a maintainer of Whonix I like to note, that I am surprised, that
there are any Whonix signature downloads from Whonix mirrors at all. We
directly link Whonix signatures to whonix.org on our download page. [1]
We don't have a link to signatures pointing to mirrors anywhere.

A while ago we were able to boost numbers of OpenPGP signature downloads.

Old page design:
- 965 Whonix-Gateway.ova downloads | 34 Whonix-Gateway.ova.sig downloads
-> 1 in ~29 used OpenPGP verification
- 1173 Whonix-Workstation.ova downloads | 37 Whonix-Workstation.ova.sig
downloads -> 1 in ~32 used OpenPGP verification

New page design:
- 1015 Whonix-Gateway.ova downloads | 100 Whonix-Gateway.ova.sig
downloads -> 1 in ~10 used OpenPGP verification
- 972 Whonix-Workstation.ova downloads | 85 Whonix-Workstation.ova.sig
downloads -> 1 in ~12 used OpenPGP verification

You can read the full story, see the old and the new page design here. [2]

Cheers,
Patrick

[1] https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Download
[2] https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Dev/Download_Statistics