Re: [tor-talk] Free Decentralized VOIP over Tor

On 08/17/2014 07:17 AM, terryz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Is Mumble cross-platform? I see it's opensource but will it run on Linux OSes? I would appreciate something like this running over Tor on Tails Linux. Possibly with a users directory.
>

> Thanks
> --TZ

Yes, it is[0]. I've used it in Whonix, with OpenVPN to handle both TCP
and UDP. Basically, you setup an OpenVPN server (using PKI) in one
Whonix workstation VM, and configure a hidden service in the Whonix
gateway VM that points to it. Then you install Mumble in the workstation
VM, and setup a server pointing to localhost. To avoid IP conflict, you
must change the gateway-workstation network from default 192.168.0.0/24
to 192.168.1.0/24 (or whatever).

Others using Whonix install OpenVPN and Mumble. The OpenVPN clients
connect via SocksPort, using OpenVPN's "socks-proxy server port up"
(where up contains the username/password for the local Whonix gateway)
and "socks-proxy-retry" options. The Mumble clients connect (via VPN via
Tor) to the Mumble server at 192.168.1.11 (or whatever IP the remote
workstation VM is at).

There's considerable latency (1-2 seconds) but sound quality is
otherwise excellent, better than typical cellphone. Mumble is designed
for in-game conversation, and includes an excellent quality-optimization
wizard.

But that's mostly of historical interest, I think. I see that Linphone
works well via OnionCat.[1,2]. And Linphone uses the standard SIP
protocol, so you're not limited to users on a particular Mumble server.

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumble_(software)
[1] https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Voip#linphone
[2] https://www.whonix.org/forum/index.php/topic,407.0.html