Re: [tor-talk] Free Decentralized VOIP over Tor

On 08/15/2014 01:07 PM, terryz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has there been any proposals to develop a free decentralized VOIP
> network for Tor? All VOIP traffic would be routed through Tor and
> every Tor node would have an option  to participate as a server for
> PTT or Continuous Speech.
>
> This would be a package that could be downloaded with the Tor
> bundle.

I doubt it. From time to time, people ask about using this or that VoIP
protocol via Tor. I don't recall success stories. VoIP works best with
UDP for data channel, and TCP for control channel. But Tor doesn't
handle UDP, and pure TCP-mode VoIP via Tor seems useless. Decent VoIP is
doable via Tor using OnionCat or TCP-mode VPN to handle UDP. But that
won't be going mainstream any time soon, I think.