Re: [tor-talk] My absence from the mailing lists...

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 09:44:55AM -0400, Nathaniel Suchy wrote:
> On 2016-08-28 02:18, Andreas Krey wrote:
> >On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 13:25:58 +0000, carlo von lynX wrote:
> >>I still don't understand why you guys hang out on a public surveilled
> >>IRC network where each line you type goes straight into XKEYSCORE.
> >
> >Because user management? When you change the irc channels to
> >something secured you have a lot to do with managing the user
> >list while it only takes one account to slip through to still
> >get recorded at NSA. And you lose the occasional lurkers
> >that may actually contribute in some form later.
>
> You make a good point. As Dave said "Is it any different than
> participating in a public surveilled mailing
> list?" I don't see a difference. The NSA can and probably does look
> at both.

Not can. Not look. Just store, forever.

Of course also the mailing list, but a mailing list isn't a place
where you smalltalk, speak about food, world view, relationships
and where to go out tonight. Even if you use side channels or /msg,
it all ends up in the big tank unless you employ plenty of OTR.

OTOH I understand that Torproject has no perspective of anything
being private any longer, so Andreas has a point. Torproject is a
target, not a victim of bulk surveillance.