Re: [tor-talk] Neal Krawetz's abcission proposal, and Tor's reputation

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 3:31 PM, Alec Muffett <alec.muffett@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On 30 August 2017 at 15:19, Ben Tasker <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Meanwhile, the drug-markets and other "vile" things he want to block will
> > carry on unabated because a subset of their users will put the effort in
> > update a central resource weekly to note what the new address is. If that
> > user is an administrator, they could even sign the updates with a
> > predisclosed key to minimise the likelihood of you being lead to a fake
> by
> > a bad actor. So everyone else gets shot in the foot, while what he wants
> > block only blinks briefly.
> >

> I entirely agree, but I feel that perhaps you missed one twist: that with
> the churn which comes with "dark" markets changing their addresses (and
> thus their reputational anchors) on a weekly basis, comes greater
> opportunity for their inevitable customers to be fleeced by sites (say)
> passing-off drugs cut with drain-cleaner as product, leading to a net of
> greater misery (and probably death) by trying to drive the matter
> underground.

Yup, or, it's entirely successful in it's aim and none but the most
determined can use the markets. Which results in the alienated users now
buying back off the street, getting a lower quality product and putting
themselves in greater physical danger. Essentially reclaiming the hold that
cartels and the like have historically held over the street (not that it's
weakend much, but any reduction is still a good thing).

> This is "war on drugs"-type thinking.  Speaking as someone who to-date has
> never even smoked pot, this seems like an intensely dumb idea.

Intensely dumb is about right. There are a good number of examples around
the world now of a better way to approach it, but it's going to be a very
long time before sense kicks in sadly.

>     - alec
>
> --
> http://dropsafe.crypticide.com/aboutalecm