Re: [tor-talk] Measuring on-line anonymity

On 08/15/2018 06:34 AM, Nathaniel Suchy wrote:
> Someone recommended that email was a more "anonymous" protocol. That really
> depends. Most email servers, by default, forward the client IP Address in
> headers. Make sure you are using Tor Browser with webmail or TorBirdy in
> Thunderbird if you want to use email "anonymously". Going to add at best
> email is a pseudonymous protocol. At some point there is an identity,
> ideally it's not linkable to you in real life but...

Yes, of course. And yes, pseudonymity <> anonymity. But pseudonymity is
useful sometimes, when you need to tell plausible lies. Not that Mirimir
is all that plausible, of course. But that's intentional.

> Gmail for example
> almost always requires you register from a residential IP Address and
> verify a phone number - I won't even call Gmail pseudonymous, it's directly
> linkable to you. The prepaid burner phone argument is silly - anyone
> remember: https://muckrock.s3.amazonaws.com/foia_files/7-3-14_MR6608_RES.pdf
> ?

Sure, but why would anyone use Gmail? There's CounterMail, Tutanota,
ProtonMail and ScryptMail. Even VFEmail and cock.li have .onion servers.

I do agree that the burner phone stuff is silly. I mean, surveillance
video. License plate tracking. Phone tracking. Plus the need to travel
long distances before using, to fuzz geolocation.

The hosted SIM approach seems far better. Region-scale blacklisting is
possible, of course, to mitigate bot abuse. But it's a large planet.