Re: storage privacy (was: Nice quiet, private, anonymous life??)

Scott Bennett wrote on 05.12.2007 04:14:
>>> I have not run a tor server, so I do not know the exact requirements.
>>> Can it be done from a ram drive?
>> It could, but you'd need to make sure it doesn't swap/page down to disk,
>> which would be bad.
>>
>      I'm not a LINUX user, but I would be surprised if there were not some
> similar facility in LINUX, but I haven't the foggiest notion how one would get
> Windows XP to encrypt its swapping/paging file or even whether Windows XP has
> that capability.

WinXP does not have such capabilities built in. The only free and open
source solution for swap/tmp space encryption under WinXP I'm aware of
is TrueCrypt + TCTEMP (uses boot-time generated ephemeral keys):
http://www.truecrypt.org/third-party-projects/tctemp/.
Besides that there are a bunch of closed/proprietary software for swap
and/or system partition encryption: BestCrypt and PGP Whole Disk are the
best from my expirience (both are proprietary, BC is partially open for
peer review, PGP WDE is open source, but not Open Source or Free).

--
SATtva | security & privacy consulting
www.vladmiller.info | www.pgpru.com