Re: storage privacy (was: Nice quiet, private, anonymous life??)

     On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 22:44:23 +0600 "Vlad \"SATtva\" Miller"
<sattva@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> It could, but you'd need to make sure it doesn't swap/page down to dis=
>k,
>>> which would be bad.
>>>
>>      I'm not a LINUX user, but I would be surprised if there were not s=
>ome
>> similar facility in LINUX, but I haven't the foggiest notion how one wo=
>uld get
>> Windows XP to encrypt its swapping/paging file or even whether Windows =
>XP has
>> that capability.
>
>WinXP does not have such capabilities built in. The only free and open
>source solution for swap/tmp space encryption under WinXP I'm aware of
>is TrueCrypt + TCTEMP (uses boot-time generated ephemeral keys):
>http://www.truecrypt.org/third-party-projects/tctemp/.
>Besides that there are a bunch of closed/proprietary software for swap
>and/or system partition encryption: BestCrypt and PGP Whole Disk are the
>best from my expirience (both are proprietary, BC is partially open for
>peer review, PGP WDE is open source, but not Open Source or Free).

     Thanks for the information.  That's yet another way in which Microslop
appears to have failed to keep up with the times.  OTOH, it fits their
longstanding practice of being weak on security issues to create a bigger
niche market for security software vendors.  Someday I'd love to see their
internal records that would show whether they get kickbacks from those
vendors.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG